Ionized alkaline water (also known as Electrolyzed Reduced Water), along with certain fruits, vegetables and supplements which metabolize in the body between a pH range of 8.00-10.00 are very powerful weapons in the fight to prevent and heal cancer. As I touched upon in my previous post, ‘Alkalizing Your Body To Raise pH And Help It Fight Cancer‘, drinking ionized alkaline water has numerous health benefits:
Firstly, lab tests have shown that ionized alkaline water reduces the effects of oxidation. What does this mean? When water is acidic, it oxidizes body tissues and DNA, and we can see this in action outside of the body when cut apples turn brown and metal rusts. However, ionized alkaline water blocks the action of free radicals (i.e. unstable molecules that can damage cells) and is high in antioxidants thereby reducing inflammation which is a contributory cause of cancer.
Secondly, ionized alkaline water also enhances your energy levels and immune system. As previous posts have shown, a healthy immune system is a critical defence against cancer. Furthermore, a study in the Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, found that alkaline water with a pH of 8.8 soothes acid reflux as the higher pH level kills pepsin, an enzyme involved in metabolizing food proteins. Other claimed benefits are that alkaline water cleanses the colon, rejuvenates the skin, reduces body fat and protects bones.
Thirdly, good ionized alkaline water pitchers are able to remove toxic heavy metals found in the regular municipal water supply. The danger of heavy metals to human health is made clear by Anthony William, author of Medical Medium: Secrets Behind Chronic And Mystery Illness And How To Finally Heal in which he states that ‘Heavy metal toxicity from metals such as mercury, aluminium, copper, cadmium, nickel, arsenic, and lead represents one of the greatest threats to our health and well-being.’
So, what are portable water ionizers and how do they work? Portable water ionizers have four main ingredients: active carbon, ion-exchange resin, Oxidation Reduction Potential magnetized ceramic balls and magnesium balls. Ionization occurs when an atom or molecule either gains or loses electrons and becomes an ion – a positively or negatively charged particle. The minerals in alkaline ionized water – mostly calcium, magnesium, and potassium – gain electrons from the ionization process. The extra electrons give the water a negative electrical charge which provides its antioxidant potential.
10 Questions You Should Ask When Purchasing Your Ionized Alkaline Water Pitcher
- By how much can it raise the pH level above that of your tap water and what toxins can the filter remove? You should really be looking for your pitcher to increase your tap water pH by at least two levels, up to a maximum pH 10.0 in order to provide you with fresh-tasting ionized water with added essential minerals like calcium, magnesium and potassium. Research conducted by the World Health Organization has shown that alkaline water is the World’s best source of calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg), and that your body absorbs these essential minerals from water at least 30% easier and faster than it does from food or supplements. Your alkaline ionized water should also be free from heavy metals like lead, copper and aluminium, as well as chlorine, fluoride and other organic impurities. You can check your tap water pH by running it under a simple pH tester strip and go from there.
- How much negative Oxidation Reduction Potential (ORP) can it produce? ORP measures the degree to which a substance is capable of oxidizing or reducing another substance. A negative ORP reading indicates that a substance is a reducing agent. The lower the reading, the more antioxidizing it is. A substance with an ORP reading of -400 mv is four times more antioxidizing than a substance with an ORP reading of -100 mv. Tests vary with water quality based on your location so you may want to check with your local water authority for more info.
- How convenient is it to use? Replacement filter gauges are very useful in order to know when you need to replace your filter so that it continues to effectively produce your ionized alkaline water. Another convenient feature is a smart fill lid which enables you to refill your pitcher without having to remove the whole lid.
- How easy is it to maintain and clean? In this ever-frenetic world where time is often at a premium, you’ll want a pitcher which is easy to maintain and quick to clean.
- How stylish is it? If your alkaline water pitcher is going to be out on your kitchen counter, you’ll want to make sure it’s actually nice to look at.
- How big is it? You’ll want to know its total water volume as well as it’s filtered volume and how easily it fits into you refrigerator.
- What is it made from? You’ll want to make sure that your pitcher is free of toxic chemicals like bisphenol A (BPA) which is used, among other things, to produce plastics including materials that come into contact with food such as refillable drinks bottles and food storage containers. In 2016, the European Chemical Agency evaluated bisphenol A as ‘a substance of very high concern’. Your pitcher should be made from safe, food-grade plastics.
- What do other customers say about it? Research the reviews on Amazon or from other sites on Google which are either selling or reviewing ionized alkaline water pitchers.
- How long does the filter last and how much is a replacement? Sometimes, the cost of replacing the components in an appliance can be almost as much as the original item itself. Since you’ll be replacing your filter every 2-4 months depending upon your water usage, compare the filter replacement costs with those of other ionized alkaline water pitchers.
- How much does it cost? You should do a price comparison with other brands and then make your decision when factoring in your feedback with respect to the previous 9 questions.
If you’ve a lot more money to spend and want to invest in an electric water ionizer machine rather than the simpler portable water ionizer pitcher, I’ll talk about that in my next post.