In my previous blog, ‘Health Benefits Of Ionized Alkaline Water And 10 Questions You Should Ask When Buying A Pitcher‘, I wrote about just some of the health benefits in drinking ionized alkaline water. Although most pitchers range between $40-$100, an alkaline water ionizer machine is considerably more expensive, but, like most things in life, you do get what you pay for.
How Does A Water Ionizer Work?
A water ionizer comprises both positively-charged and negatively-charged plates. The alkaline minerals in your water like calcium, magnesium and potassium have a positive electromagnetic charge and so are attracted to the negatively-charged plates (the cathode). These calcium, magnesium and potassium minerals gain electrons from the ionization process and so give the water a negative electrical charge which provides its antioxidant potential. On the other hand, the acidic bicarbonate in your water has a negative electromagnetic charge and so is attracted to the positively-charged plates (the anode). The ions pass through a bipolar exchange membrane to separate the minerals from the bicarbonate which makes the water inside the alkaline chamber into Electrochemically Reduced Water (ERW) for drinking, and the water inside the acidic chamber into Electrochemically Oxidized Water (EOW) for cleaning. The highly alkaline Electrochemical Reduced Water scavenges active oxygen species (i.e. free radicals) and protects DNA from oxidative damage. The ionized alkaline water produced by a water ionizer is exactly the same quality as deep well artesian spring water and they’re the only two water sources on Earth that have natural antioxidant potential.
10 Questions You Should Ask When Buying A Water Ionizer
- What toxins does the filter remove from your water? There are over 10,000 different toxins that can poison your water – and no one filter can be effective against them all – but you do need to know if it filters out chlorine and chloramines, heavy metals, and volatile organic chemicals like the industrial solvent, dichloromethane, trichloroethylene, which is used in septic system cleaners, and tetrachloroethylene, used in the dry-cleaning industry.
- What plates are used in the ionizer and how durable are they? The plates are the most important part of a water ionizer because that’s where tap water is transformed into ionized alkaline water. Plate options can be mesh, flat or grid so you’ll need to select the ionizer with the most effective plates for your budget.
- How large are the plates? The larger the plates, the longer the water stays in contact with them which increases the effectiveness of the ionizing process.
- How powerful is the water ionizer? It’s no good having large plates if the power is insufficient to get the most out of them. Remember that the alkaline minerals and acidic bicarbonates in tap water are attracted to each other, just like two magnets. For a water ionizer to separate them, it must have enough power to overcome the attraction between them which is why ionizers with very large plates need to have a minimum 400 watts of power. Ionizers with smaller plates don’t need such power but are still extremely effective in producing that alkaline ER water for drinking and the acidic EO water for cleaning.
- Are the plastics used in the ionizer free of toxic chemicals like bisphenol A (BPA)? As you recall from my previous blog, BPA is used, among other things, to produce plastics including materials that come into contact with food such as refillable drinks bottles and food storage containers. In 2016, the European Chemical Agency evaluated BPA as ‘a substance of very high concern’. Your ionizer should be made from safe, food-grade plastics.
- What certifications does the ionizer have to guarantee the quality of materials used in its manufacture and where are the key components manufactured? Examples of quality certificates would include the International Standards Organization (ISO), Water Quality Association (WQA), and, if you’re living in the European Union, Conformité Européene (CE). The best quality water ionizers are made in either Japan or South Korea as they both have certification programs to certify water ionizers for medical use which is your guarantee that the ionizer has met strict standards for use as a medical device.
- Is the water ionizer convertible? You might wish to purchase a machine that can go both on the counter top or underneath it.
- How long is the warranty? As this is an expensive piece of hardware, you should look at the length of the warranty. Many water ionizers provide warranties over a number of different years while some even provide warranties for life.
- What do other customers say about it? Research the reviews on Amazon or from other sites on Google which are either selling or reviewing water ionizers. No product is perfect, but if there are significantly more positive reviews than there are negative ones, the chances are pretty good that you’ll buy a quality product.
- How much does it cost? You should do a price comparison with other similar brands in the market and other models within a brand’s product range, and then make your decision when factoring in your feedback with respect to the previous 9 questions.
Product Recommendation: The IONtech IT-580 Alkaline Water Ionizer
While it’s really difficult to select a good water ionizer because of the vast array of features that each one comes with (see the list below), I recommend the IONtech IT-580 by IntelGadgets and do so based on three primary considerations:
Firstly, it has a pH value range of 4.5 to 11.0. While other water ionizers boast a range of pH 1.7-12.2 and are more than six times more expensive at current prices, pH 11.0 is more than you need (pH 10 is considered safe for drinking) if you want to consume alkaline water to remove toxins from your tap water and also raise your body’s pH, both of which help to protect it against cancer.
Secondly, the IT-580 has an Oxidation Reduction Potential (ORP) value of up to -850mv (based on source water quality) which massively reduces the effects of oxidation. It’s competitors can only offer an ORP value of – 500mv, yet are more than double the price. Quite simply, the lower the ORP, the more effective the ionized alkaline water is at blocking the action of free radicals (i.e. unstable molecules that can damage cells) thereby reducing inflammation which is a contributory cause of cancer. The antioxidant nature of negative ORP in ionized alkaline water also nourishes “good” probiotic microbes in the gut and this is where 70%-80% of the immune system is located: a healthy immune system is critical in both preventing and fighting cancer.
Thirdly, it’s manufactured from the highest quality materials and is certified internationally. The IT-580’s 5 platinum-titanium electrolysis plates and ceramic ion membrane are all made in Japan, and it’s built-in activated carbon fiber filter is manufactured in the US. As a result, the IONtech IT-580 has received certifications from the International Standards Organization (ISO), Conformité Européene (CE) and Société Générale de Surveillance (SGS).
Here’s a list of some other features from the IONtech IT-580:
- High Efficiency Activated Carbon Fiber Filter removes toxins and impurities from regular water such as chlorine, chlorine odor, residual salt, and other pollutants.
- 7 Water pH Levels include 4 Alkaline Levels, 2 Acidic Levels, and 1 Purified Water Level.
- Soft Touch Button Control Panel displays pictures and descriptions of possible uses for water at all the different levels e.g. ‘Making tea/coffee’, ‘Daily Drinking Water’, ‘Face washing’ etc.
- Red and Green Indicator Lights (“Filter Change” light and “Clean” light) show if water is acidic (red) or alkaline (green).
- Color codes displayed on machine indicates different pH levels, from purple for strong alkaline, to red for strong acidic.
- Safety Feature automatically switches the machine to alkaline water after the water flow is shut off to prevent accidental consumption of acidic water.
- Filter Change Indicator eliminates guessing when to replace the filter by lighting up when it needs to be replaced.
- Automatic Cleaning Function cleanses the electrolysis chamber for 10 seconds automatically after every use.
- More thorough, 2-Minute Cleaning Function cleanses the electrolysis chamber for a full 2 minutes with the press of the “Clean” button.
Should you decide to buy an alkaline water ionizer, I’m sure it’ll be an extremely valuable addition to your anti-cancer armour and I wish you well with your product.