The road to true personal power is knowing yourself. Why is this? Let’s have a look:
- You become a stronger person: As you get to know yourself, you begin to recognize your strengths and weaknesses, and work to improve yourself. As you improve in multi-faceted ways, so your options in life grow.
- You have greater self-esteem: As you recognize and honour your strengths, so you begin to love and respect yourself more. You recognize how you are seen by others, and you see your positive impact on the people around you. This inner power radiates out to others and your opportunities increase.
- You make better decisions in life: As you understand yourself better, you are clear about who you are and what you want.You make choices for the right reasons because you are always checking in on yourself, making sure you are doing things for the right reasons.You allow life to take you where YOU want to go.
- You don’t allow others to govern your life: As you grow in self-awareness, you are aware when other people are trying to control you, and you gently put a stop to it. You have enough self-esteem to make your own decisions, and while you listen to what others have to say, you make your own decisions in the end. Again, you end up where YOU want to be, rather than where others would have you be.
- You have self-discipline: When you are self-aware, you also know what your weaknesses are and take measures to prevent yourself from falling into bad habits. In this way you find yourself healthier and happier.
- You develop empathy with others: Your understanding of yourself and your own journey to wholeness makes you so much more tolerant of other people’s weaknesses. You become a good leader, an inspiring person who has the potential to rise to great heights in life.
There are many ways in which you can get to know yourself. There are many questionnaires, and self-help tools that you can work with. Building power starts with knowing who you are and what you are capable of. I wish you luck with this.